MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA - MAY 14: Juan Soto #22 of the New York Yankees looks on from the dugout against the Minnesota Twins in the eighth inning at Target Field on May 14, 2024 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Yankees defeated the Twins 5-1. (Photo by David Berding/Getty Images)David Berding/Getty Images

Juan Soto is playing on the final year of his deal but is open to negotiating with the New York Yankees as the season progresses.

"My door has always been open," Soto said Thursday, per Greg Joyce of the New York Post. "Whenever he wants to start talking with Scott [Boras] and all those people, they're always open to hear whatever he has. For me, I just focus on the game right now."

He also said the Yankees can call agent Scott Boras and have some of those discussions.

"If they want to call Scott and start talking about it, it's up to them," Soto said. "Scott, they know his phone number and everything. They know where to call. For me right here, I'm focusing on playing baseball. My thing is try to help the team to win as many games as we can and try to focus on winning a championship."

It should be noted that Soto turned down a 15-year, $440 million offer from the Washington Nationals in 2022, which underscores what kind of deal he will be looking for from the Yankees or any other suitor.

Jon Heyman of the New York Post reported last month that an American League executive and agent believe Soto will receive a $500 million contract in free agency.

It is something the Yankees will have to consider, but team owner Hal Steinbrenner already said on a YES Network podcast that he wants Soto to retire with New York.

That it would require such a head-turning contract isn't surprising, as he is just 25 years old and has already proven himself as one of the best players in baseball. And the price tag isn't quite as shocking anymore after Shohei Ohtani agreed to a $700 million contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers this past offseason, although much of that money was deferred.

Soto has played for the Washington Nationals, San Diego Padres and Yankees in his career and has a resume that already includes a World Series crown (with Washington), a batting title, four Silver Slugger awards and three All-Star selections.

He is once again off to an excellent start to the season with a .310/.408/.530 slash line, nine home runs, 34 RBI and four stolen bases in 44 games.

New York is also off to quite the start with a 30-15 record, which is good enough for first place in the American League East.

It is an ideal pairing but one that will cost the front office significant money to keep together beyond just this season.